History of Eggers and Company
In 1896, a man named Bueckman built a second general store in
In 1903 the Bueckman store was sold to Klaus and Son (Herman and Henry Klaus). About that same time a change in political climate meant that R. P. Farrar, the owner of the first general store and postmaster, would turn over his postal duties to Henry Eggers, a Republican. The post office was moved to the Klaus store.
Seventeen years later, Martin and Walter, the two youngest of Henry Eggers’ sons bought the Klaus store. Martin and his wife Ella along with two young daughters, Mildred age 5 and Vera, a 1 year old, and Walt moved from their nearby farm into the house attached to the store. Martin, or “Tom” as he preferred to be called, and Ella welcomed baby daughter, Ruby, in 1921 and son, Homer, in 1925.
In 1933 Walt built a house for himself across the street and moved out to start his own family. “Tom” and Walt owned and operated the Eggers and Company General Store for 46 years.
They sold it to four of their employees in April 1966. These four men created Farrar General Market.
The Eggers and Company name was set aside until 2004 when Martin Eggers’ granddaughter and her husband, Ellen and Steve Frye, purchased the property from the surviving members of Farrar General Market.
Eggers and Company has become viable once more, as Ellen and Steve have worked to honor the Eggers family, the town of Farrar and the role in history that stores and towns such as this portray in rural America in the mid twentieth century. To this effect the owners have been successful in listing the property in the National Register of Historic Places and restoring the house and store to its’ former appearance.
History of Farrar
The settlement in Farrar is closely tied to Salem Lutheran Church, built in 1859. Mail was brought to the town from the nearby town of Schalls and handed out on the church steps after Sunday worship services. The people craved a post office of their own and wished the town to be named Salem as was the name of the church, so in 1892, store owner, R. P. Farrar rode by horseback to Jefferson City to make the request. Upon his arrival, he learned that the name Salem was already taken, so Farrar put his own name on the registry. He became the first postmaster and opened the post office in his store.
History of Saxon Settlement
A well-documented immigration of Saxon people to East Perry County occurred beginning in 1839. This Lutheran group came up the Mississippi River through New Orleans toward St. Louis. As they navigated past southeast Missouri, the landscape of rolling hills reminded them of their native Germany. After arriving in St. Louis, they decided to return to the hilly countryside of Perry County. The Eggers family is one of the families in this chain migration and helped to settle the town of Farrar and found Salem Lutheran Church.
The Saxon Immigration is more fully told by a visit to the Saxon Memorial in the nearby town of Frohna and Lutheran Heritage Museum in Altenburg. The original log cabin seminary seen there is the birthplace of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod.